The Lisle Township Democratic Organization (LTDO) believes that BLACK LIVES MATTER! We are deeply disturbed at the cruel display of violence by Minneapolis police officers who took the life of Mr. George Floyd. The brutal treatment of African-Americans in our country must stop and police must be held accountable.
The right of Americans to protest and express their rage nonviolently is guaranteed under the First Amendment of our Constitution and we support these nonviolent protests.
We denounce the looting and property damage for it has no place in advancing the cause of justice and civil liberty.
In addition, LTDO believes that
- The voices of the oppressed in our society must be amplified to bring about action items for change within our police departments across the country.
- There must be better criteria for use of force by police instilled in their practices and policies.
- There must be better reporting and improved strategies for acts of police brutality.
- Better strategies to quickly identify police officers with a propensity for abuse.
- Improved discipline for police officers.
- Better relations between the police and the community.
To help bring about the systemic change our country requires, LTDO wants to support candidates who will promote legislation to:
- Create greater economic sustainability for minority communities.
- Improve educational opportunities and promote policies to end the “school to prison pipeline”.
- Strengthen healthcare.
- Eliminate disparities in our criminal justice system.
- Expand voting rights and political representation.
- Provide programs for youth and young adults.
- End excessive prosecution of people of color as in Ferguson, MO.
- DuPage County needs bail reform.
- Candidates need to support well researched and effective policies to reduce police violence like Campaign Zero.