I’m not registered! Am I eligible?
To register to vote, you must meet these qualifications:
- You must be a United States citizen
- You must be at least 18 years old on or before the next election (OR for a General Primary, you must be at least 17 and will be 18 by the General Election)
- You must live in your election precinct at least 30 days before the next election
- You must not be convicted and in jail
- You cannot claim the right to vote anywhere else
But I’ve never voted before!
Sadly, young people have one of the lowest voting rates. They may be about to leave home, they may feel that they are on campus temporarily or may expect to moving frequently; in any case, they may feel little connection to a community. They may feel cynical about the power of their vote.They may suspect registration is difficult. (It’s easy — see above!)
But young people have the biggest stake in these elections! It is your future that is being determined! Do you want democracy to survive? Do you want your lives to be controlled by a powerful few? Do you want to struggle to survive on an overheated planet?
There’s no single more important (and easy!) thing you can do to impact your future!
Next: Next: Register to Vote